main
Welcome to the website of the
Louis S. Diggs
Research Center for African American History
The “Pest House” will soon be the home of the Louis S. Diggs Research Center for African American History (Diggs Research Center). It is located right behind the “Almshouse,” home of the Historical Society of Baltimore County (HSBC). It was built in 1872 using cut local stone from the Texas Quarry, where African Americans worked. The building did housed African Americans with communicable disease. The building has not been utilized for many many years, and has been totally vandalized on the interior.

HSBC provided the building to Louis S. Diggs, a local historian/author for his significant input to the publication of the 350th Anniversary Book on Baltimore County, with sufficient funds to form a 501©(3) non-profit organization and to ensure that the building is structurally sound. This has been accomplished. The HSBC Executive Committee and the then President, Dr. Glenn T. Johnston, suggested that the building should be re-named “The Louis S. Diggs Research Center for African American History.”

It is planned to house a Genealogy Center headed by renown Historian and Board Member, Angela Walton-Raji; the Julian Branch of the Association for the Study of African American Life and History (ASALH); Hopefully, a Grant Writing Section, as well as assistance in seeking out grants and other funding sources to help save our African American communities and structures. There will also be coordination of historic bus tours, lectures at schools, senior citizen centers, libraries, etc.

Since the Research Center is in great need of funds to begin the rebuilding of the interior of the Pest House, it is planned to sponsor a “Save our History Cruise” from the Port of Baltimore on a 9-night cruise from January 7, 2012 to January 16, 2012. This cruise will be co-hosted by the Friends of the Benjamin Banneker Historical Park and Museum in Oella.



Blog Stats Tracker

banner
Click here for more Information